ⓘ Gunther Frei
Frei studied mathematics, physics and languages at the University of Zurich. There he received his doctoral degree in 1968 with advisor Bartel Leendert van der Waerden and dissertation on geometry Beitrage zur axiomatischen Inhaltstheorie. He became an instructor in 1968 at the University of Notre Dame and in 1970 at Quebecs Universite Laval, where he became in 1971 a professor. He remained there until he retired as professor emeritus and returned to Switzerland to live in Hombrechtikon.
Freis research deals with number theory and the history of meathematics, especially the history of number theory in the 19th and 20th centuries and Swiss mathematics. He has written extensively on the life and work of Helmut Hasse. Frei is a member of the Euler Committee of the Swiss Academy of Sciences.
1. Selected publications
- Felix Klein. A biographical sketch. In: Jahrbuch Uberblicke Mathematik. 1984, pp. 229–254.
- with Urs Stammbach: Mathematicians and Mathematics in Zurich, at the university and the ETH. Schriftenreihe der ETH-Bibliothek 2007.
- Leben und Werk von Helmut Hasse. In: Collection Mathematique. Universite Laval, 1977 and Helmut Hasse. In: Collection Math. vol. 38, 1981.
- as editor with Peter Roquette: Emil Artin und Helmut Hasse – die Korrespondenz 1923–1934. Universitatsverlag Gottingen 2008 originally published in 1981 in Collection Mathematique. Universitat Laval.
- with Urs Stammbach: Hermann Weyl und die Mathematik an der ETH Zurich 1913–1930. Birkhauser 1992. at Google Books
- 2014 hbk translation; Emil and Helmut Hasse: The Correspondence 1923–1958, 2014 ebook
- Helmut Hasse. In: Expositiones Mathematicae. vol. 3. 1985, pp. 55–69.
- The reciprocity law from Euler to Eisenstein. doi:10.1007/978-3-0348-7521-9_6 in C. Sasaki, M. Sugiura, Joseph Dauben: The intersection of history and mathematics. Birkhauser 1994.
- The unpublished section eight: on the way to function fields over finite fields. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-34720-0_6 In: Catherine Goldstein, Joachim Schwermer, Norbert Schappacher eds. The shaping of arithmetic – after C. F. Gauss´s Disquisitiones Arithmeticae. Springer 2007 also in Nachrichten Akad. Wiss. Gottingen 2006.
- Heinrich Weber and the emergence of class field theory. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-599661-7.50019-7 in David Rowe, John McCleary eds. History of modern mathematics. Academic Press, 1989, pp. 424–450. See Heinrich Martin Weber.
- as editor: Der Briefwechsel David Hilbert–Felix Klein 1886–1918. Vandenhoeck und Ruprecht 1985.
- Chapter 6. Developments in the theory of algebra over number fields: A new foundation for the Hasse norm residue symbol and new approaches to both the Artin reciprocity law and class field theory. in Jeremy Gray, Karen Parshall eds.: Episodes in the history of modern algebra 1800–1950. American Mathematical Society 2007, pp. 117–151. Chapter 6, 2011 pbk edition
- with Urs Stammbach: Heinz Hopf. In: Ioan James ed.: History of Topology. Elsevier 1999.
Users also searched:
gunther frei, 20th century in zurich. gunther frei, günther frei,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →